Sunday, January 7, 2007

Brunswick, Baseball, and Conservation

I know there has got to be a connection. Soon there will be, in the form of some useful baseball links. The game is big in this town they say. The Frederick Keys have a site here, so check them out from time to time. Now I have it, the more baseball parks we build, the more grass gets to keep on growing, the more people get to enjoy just being outdoors in the summertime, and the more everybody can learn to appreciate nature. All by just playing baseball. What a fantasy, but I can think of worse.

Well, my dream now is to hit just one major league home run (sort of like the ones I used to hit when I was 13) since it does not look like my fantasy of dunking a basketball at my age (I'm not saying) is going to come true. Cinderella, here I come!

I had promised readers of my other, Z The Legal blog, that I would be reviewing "Soldier" (recent bio of General Powell). That is still on the way. Here, however, I want to note that if I find the time I will be reviewing "Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero" by David Maraniss (who also wrote "When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi"). Roberto was certainly my hero when I was a kid. I saw him play one time at Forbes Field (Pittsburgh) and I can still remember him hitting the game-winning rbi in the bottom of the ninth, a line drive to the wall in left center field.

Spring training, baby bring it on!

No comments: